- 4 cups (950 mL) blueberries
- ½ cup (125 mL) sugar (or more)
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) flour
- 4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) shortening
- 1/4-1/2 cup (50 mL-125 mL) milk
Blueberries: Put berries, sugar and water in a pot, cover and boil gently until there is plenty of juice.
Dumplings: Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a bowl. Cut in the butter and shortening and add enough milk to make a soft biscuit dough. Drop by spoonfuls onto the hot blueberries. Cover closely and do not peek for 15 minutes.
Recipe courtesy Out of Old Nova Scotia Kitchens, Nimbus Publishing.